Ditch those store-bought taco shells. Nothing beats delicious pan-fried tacos made with corn tortillas!
You can also fill these tacos with your preferred protein like shredded rotisserie chicken, pulled pork or cooked vegetables, mushrooms, etc., the possibilities are endless.
- 5 medium potatoes, chopped in fine cubes and cooked
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 minced cloves of garlic
- 2 red or green peppers, finely chopped (can substitute for poblano peppers)
- White or blue corn tortillas
- Toothpicks (one per tortilla)
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil
- Canola oil (enough to fry)
- 2 tbsp. of vegetable or chicken broth mix
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sour cream
- Iceberg or romaine lettuce, finely chopped
- Crumbled feta or panela cheese
- Avocado slices
- Red or green salsa
- Sun-dried tomatoes dressing (not a common ingredient in Mexican cuisine but trust me, it tastes delicious with tacos and lettuce)
In a medium-sized skillet add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and fry over medium heat the onion, garlic and peppers for about 5 minutes. Incorporate the cooked potatoes and season with 2 tbsp. of vegetable or chicken broth mix, salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 5 more minutes at low heat.
Heat your corn tortillas in the microwave for 40 seconds. Cold tortillas are more difficult to manipulate and break easily.
Fill the tortillas with the potatoes and peppers mixture. Use toothpicks to close and hold the filling.
Fry the tacos in a pan with enough canola oil turning them constantly to ensure even crisp on all sides.
Once ready put your tacos in a plate and cover with paper towels to remove excess oil.
Plate and cover with your preferred garnishes. Enjoy!