Molletes are a simple, traditional and ecomonic option for breakfast. Enjoy with refried beans, melted cheese and pico de gallo salsa. Add some protein like shredded rotisserie chicken, Spanish chorizo or tofu vegan chorizo and turn your molletes into a complete lunch meal.
Ingredients (for 2 persons):
- 2 bolillo bread rolls, sliced in half lengthwise (can substitute for any traditional sandwich roll, baguette or rustic Italian-style bread)
- Refried beans (Frijoles refritos) or canned refried beans heated
- olive oil or butter (optional)
- Manchego, mozzarella, Monterrey Jack or vegan cheese, shredded
- Rotisserie chicken, shredded
- Spanish style chorizo, crumbled and fried
- Tofu vegan chorizo, crumbled and fried
- Pork sausages, crumbled and fried
- Wiener or frankfurter sausages, chopped and fried
- Red or green salsa
- Pico de gallo salsa
- Pickled jalapeños
Preaheat oven to 400 °F.
Coat the the bread halves with some olive oil or butter on both sides (optional). Place them on a baking pan face down and lightly toast for approximately 5 minutes till the bread is crispy.
Remove from the oven, put the bread halves face up and spread refried beens and cheese. Put back on the oven and toast for another 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
Top off with your favourite protein like rotisserie chicken, sausage or chorizo.