Hominy with mushrooms is one of the many variations of this traditional Mexican stew that will satisfy carnivores and vegans alike. No plate is similar as the fun comes when each diner customizes the stew with a wide arrange of garnishes. Enjoy with tostadas!
Learn more about what is hominy:
Where to find hominy? Most supermarkets in North America with a Latin products aisle carry hominy, white or yellow.
- 2 cans of white Hominy (drained and rinsed)
- 1 liter of chicken broth (or use 1 lt. of water and chicken broth in powder)
- 500 grams of chopped mushrooms
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- oregano flakes
- Fully cooked and shredded chicken breast
- Fully cooked and shredded pork shoulder
- Shredded lettuce
- Chopped onion
- Lemon juice
- Chipotle hot sauce or chili flakes
- Oregano flakes
- Thinly sliced radishes
Sauté the onion, garlic and mushrooms with some olive oil and butter. When ready add the hominy, onion, garlic and chicken broth in a large pot. When the stew starts boiling add salt, pepper, oregano flakes and chicken broth powder to taste.
The key is in the garnishes! Get more flavour by adding meat, onion, oregano flakes, lemon juice, lettuce, radishes, chili flakes, and/or hot sauce.