Simple comfort food that does not require too much preparation, great for lunch or dinner. Add some jalapeño pepper, guajillo or chipotle pepper for an extra kick.
- 1 1/2 cup of lentils, washed
- 2 small size carrots, cut in small cubes
- 1 medium size potato, cut in small cubes
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 medium size tomatoes , cut in quarters
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, leaves and stems
- Optional: 1 jalapeño pepper (remove seeds and veins for a mild flavour), 1 canned chipotle, or 1 guajillo pepper
- 2 cups of water (can use chicken broth instead)
- 2 tsp. vegetable broth mix or chicken broth in powder
- salt and pepper
Feta cheese or queso fresco
Blend the tomatoes, onions, cilantro, garlic and pepper (optional) with a cup of water to a puree-like consistency.
In a large pot add the lentils, carrots potatoes, tomato sauce and 1 extra cup of water. Cover with lid.
Cook at medium heat for 40 minutes or until the vegetables and lentils are fully cooked and tender. Add the vegetable or chicken broth in powder, salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy alone or with feta cheese on top.