Esquites is essentially corn removed from the cob, stir-fried or braised with herbs and spices and served in a cup with some lime, chili pepper powder and some other toppings as crumbled cheese and mayo.
- 2 pounds of fresh corn kernels, just cut from cob (you can also use frozen kernels to save some time).
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 tbsp of garlic powder
- 2 guajillo peppers seeded, deveined and chopped finely.
- 1 tbsp of paprika
- 1 tbsp of ancho pepper powder
- Salt and pepper
- In a large skillet warm some vegetable oil and add the chopped onion, stir-fry for few minutes until it becomes translucent.
- Add guajillo peppers and cook them for a couple of minutes until they hydrate with the oil and the onions.
- Add the corn kernels, garlic powder, and the rest of the spices; cook at medium heat until corn kernels are fully cooked and slightly browned, use a cooking spoon to stir it constantly to prevent it sticking to the bottom of the skillet.
- Remove from heat and reserve.
- Serve it in a cup or a small bowl, add some lime juice and enjoy!
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Chopped cilantro
- Chili powder