These easy homemade biscuits are great for breakfast, enjoy them warm with some butter and marmalade or use them to compliment a southeastern style fried chicken dinner.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter in small cubes
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Place the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt together in a large bowl or in a large food processor. Whisk or pulse until combined.
- Add butter and pulse it at low speed until the butter is completely integrated with the other ingredients. The consistency of the mix will feel like wet sand.
- Make some space in the middle and pour the buttermilk, mix all ingredients at low speed for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the dough and any dough crumbles onto a lightly floured work surface and knead with your hands until you can form a smooth dough ball. The dough might be a little sticky but avoid adding too much flour, this will cause biscuits to be dry and hard.
- With your hands form a rectangle, add a little flour on the top of the dough, and with a rolling pin, flatten into a 3/4 inch thick and extend it as much as you can.
- Fold one side into the center, then the other side. Flatten again the dough, until you get it to be 1 1/2 inches high.
- Cut biscuits with a biscuit cutter of 2.75 or 3-inches. Re-roll scraps until all the dough is used. You should have about 8-10 biscuits.
- Place them in a cooking pan covered with a baking sheet or buttered.
- Whisk an egg with 1 tablespoon of milk, and brush biscuits on top.
- Cook them in a 400°F for 18-25 minutes or until or until tops look golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, brush warm tops with some melted butter, and enjoy warm.