A simple comfort and flavourful pasta that you will like to repeat over and over.
Ingredients (makes 4 servings):
- 1 /2 uncooked pasta
- Water enough to cook the pasta
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 onion, julianned
- 2 small red bell peppers (combine with green, yellow or orange for colour)
- 1/4 cup of sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 cups of tomato puree, cooked
- 2 tbsp. dried or fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 tbps. olive oil
- Pecorino romano or parmesan cheese grated
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded
In a soup pot cook the pasta with enough water and salt. When the pasta is cooked, drain the water. Reserve 1/2 cup of the starchy water.
Soak the sun-dried tomatoes in lukewarm water for 20 minutes. Drain water, finely chop and reserve.
In a skillet at medium heat, fry the onion, garlic and bell peppers with 2 tbsp. of olive oil. When the onion gets cramelized add the sun-dried tomatoes and tomato puree, starchy water and cook for 10 more minutes. Incorporate the pasta and season with salt, pepper and basil. Garnish with your favourite cheese. Enjoy!