Comfort food at it’s best. This enchiladas made with green tomatoes sauce are an excellent option for breakfast, lunch of dinner. Fill them with rotisserie chicken or a mix of fried potatoes and carrots for a vegetarian option. Garnish with pickled onions, sour cream or mozzarella cheese for a restaurant-like experience.
For the sauce go to our recipe: green tomatoes (tomatillo) sauce
For the filling:
- Shredded rotisserie chicken (1 chicken breast, 1 small onion, finely chopped), or
- Fried potatoes and carrots (1 large size baking potatoes, 2 medium size carrots, 1 small onion, finely chopped), or
- Mexican-style mashed potatoes, or
- Cheese cubes (Mozzarella or manchego work well for this recipe)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Enchiladas:
- Corn tortillas
- Pickled onions (finely chop 1 small onion, add the juice of 1 lime and salt)
- Feta, cotiija cheese or queso fresco, crumbled
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Sour cream
Shredded rotisserie chicken: In a large pan caramelize onion with 2 tbsp. of olive oil. Once ready add the chicken and fry for 5 more minutes, salt and pepper to your taste.
Vegetables: In a large sauce pan add 2 potatoes and 2 carrots cut in cubes, cover with water and boil until vegetables are tender. Reserve. In a large pan at medium heat caramelize onion with 2 tbsps of olive oil, when the onion changes colour add the vegetables and fry for another 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to your taste.
Follow the instructions to make the green tomatoes sauce.
Heat your corn tortillas in the stove using a shallow skillet or comal at medium temperature; alternatively, heat them in the microwave for 40 seconds. Cold tortillas are more difficult to manipulate and break easily plus, charring them a little bit in the comal gives them a smokey flavour.
Cover your tortillas with green tomatoes sauce inside and outside. Add your preferred filling and toppings.