These delicious potato patties, crispy on the outside, and fluffy on the inside are so versatile that could work as a side dish or as a veggie main dish.
They can be done with only 3 ingredients or you can be creative and add different types of cheese or vegetables to make your own twist.
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 cup feta cheese in crumbles (also you could use queso fresco, Monterey, or cheddar)
- 2 egg
- 2 teaspoons of cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- ½ teaspoon of pepper
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 cup of chopped green onions
- 1 package of Bread crumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
- Wash and peel potatoes, ensure all dark spots or roots are removed.
- Boil potatoes in some salted water in a pot with enough water to cover the potatoes.
- Cook potatoes at medium/high heat for 30 minutes or until a knife can easily pierce through.
- Drain water and transfer potatoes into a bowl.
- Let them cool for 10 minutes then using a potato smasher make a puree.
- Add the green onions, the cheese, ½ cup of bread crumbs.
- In a small bowl whisk the eggs with the paprika, cornstarch, pepper, and garlic powder, add it to the mix.
- Mix all ingredients well until everything is fully integrated.
- Add oil to a pan or skillet and heat over medium heat.
- In a deep container put the bread crumbs and spread them over the bottom.
- Rub some vegetable oil in your hands, grab some of the potato mixture and form a 2-inch ball.
- Place the ball over the bread crumbs and press it gently to allow the crumbs to stick to the patty, turn it and do the same on the other side.
- Place patty in the cooking pan and cook until golden brown on each side.
- Drain patties on paper towels.
- Repeat the process until you finish all the rest of the mixture.