We came up with this recipe combining fresh jackfruit with one of our staples, the dry peppers guajillo sauce. The result are some delicious vegan tacos that are satisfying, healthy and full of flavour. Don’t be afraid of trying new things. Experimenting in the kitchen is a fun activity you can do with all your family.
- 2 lbs. jackfruit flesh (fruit pods) or 1 can of jackfruit, drained
- 1 medium size onion, sliced
- 1 cup of dry guajillo peppers sauce
- Olive oil, enough to fry the onion
- Onions (chopped and pickled using lime juice and a pinch of salt)
- Fresh cilantro (coriander) leaves, finely chopped
- Lime juice
If you buy fresh jackfruit, remove the skin, rags, seeds and core. Keep only the pods.
In a non-stick skillet fry the onion with some olive oil at medium heat until caramelized. Add the jackfruit, dry guajillo pepper sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
Cover with lid. Bring to simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove lid and let cook until the sauce dries.
Assemble tacos with jackfruit and your favourite toppings.