- 4 medium size baking potatoes (Russets make the fluffiest mash but other yellow or white varieties like Gold rush, Perline or Yukon gold work well for this recipe)
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1 tbsp. vegetable or chicken broth mix
- Pickled jalapeños, finely chopped; or chili flakes (optional)
Chop the potatoes in small cubes; cook them in a pot with sufficient water and a tablespoon of salt. Bring to boil, cook until tender. When ready, strain the potatoes and reserve.
In a skillet at medium heat, fry the onion and garlic cloves with the olive oil and butter; cook for a few minutes until the onion caramelizes. Add the potatoes, milk and jalapeño peppers or chili flakes (optional). If the potatoes are very tender you won’t need to use a potato masher, just stir a few times to mix the ingredients well. Season with salt and pepper, vegetable or chicken broth mix and a pinch of smoked paprika for extra flavour.
Buen provecho! Enjoy!