Considered the superfood to eat now; sweet potatoes are loaded with beta carotene, which functions as a potent antioxidant and a rich source of vitamin A. Combined with beans and corn you get the best combo of proteins, fiber, vitamins and minerals.
Learn more: The superfood to eat now
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut in halves (skin is optional, if you leave it just ensure you scrub the potatoes thorougly to remove any dirt)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red tomato, finely chopped (Roma or In vine tomato work well for this recipe)
- 1 cup of corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup of cooked beans (can substitute for canned beans, drained)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp. cilantro (coriander) leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Chili flakes, a pinch (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Feta cheese crumbles
- Sour cream
- Lime juice
- Cilantro leaves
Preheat oven at (350°F or 176°C)
In a baking pan spray some cooking oil. Spray or brush oil on both sides of the sweet potato halves; place them in the pan and cook in the oven for 30 minutes on one side and 30 minutes on the other side.
About 20 minutes before the sweet potatoes are done put heat a skillet and fry the onion, red tomato, red bell pepper, corn, beans, jalapeño and cilantro with 2 tbsp. of olive oil. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until the juices dry. Season with chili flakes, salt and pepper to taste.
Take the sweet potates from the oven and transfer them to the plate where you will serve them. Scoop the flesh in the centre to make a boat. Add the black beans and corn filling.
Garnish with your favourite toppings like feta cheese, sour cream or guacamole. Enjoy!