Happy Cinco de Mayo! We are celebrating this day with a Tex-Mex recipe, a burrito that is perfect for breakfast.
Ingredients (makes 2 servings):
- 2 large flour tortillas
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp. milk (can use almond, cashew or soy milk)
- 1/4 cup cooked beans, drain water (can use canned beans, drained)
- 1/4 cup fresh corn, cooked
- 1/2 small onion, sliced
- 1/2 small red tomato, diced
- 1 tbsp. cilantro (coriander) leaves, finely chopped (optional)
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded (optional)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Sour cream
In a skillet at medium heat, fry the onion and tomato for 5 minutes or unitl the onion changes colour. Incorporate the beans, corn, cilantro, salt and pepper to taste. Reserve.
Whisk the eggs with one tablespoon of milk, salt and pepper. In a separate pan fry the scrambled eggs. Tip: cover with lid to get fuffly eggs. Reserve.
Warm tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds so they are easy to fold.
Assemble your burritos: spread in the centre of the tortilla the mixture of black beans, corn, onion and tomato then add cheese and scrambled eggs. Fold and ensure the sides are well tucked, then roll up.
In a crepe pan or comal warm your burrito to get a nice crust. Can use some olive oil to get a more cripsy texture. Enjoy!