This is probably the messiest of all sandwiches but each napkin used is worth it. This chickpea salad is a great alternative to tuna salad and packed with lots of proteins.
Ingredients (makes 4 servings):
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium size red tomato, finely diced
- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked and drained
- 1 cup carrot and potato, diced, cooked and drained (or substitute for 1 can of mixed vegetables, drained)
- 4 tbsp. mayonnaise (vegan option: substitute for vegan mayo or tahini)
- 1/4 tsp. lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the sandwich:
- Bread slices of your choice
- Lettuce or spinach leaves
- Avocado, sliced
- Mozzarella cheese, sliced, or
- Spreadable cream cheese
- Dill pickles, sliced
In a mixing bowl combine the chickpeas, potato, carrot, onion, tomato, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
Assemble sandwhich with your favourite toppings. Enjoy!