What is mole? Mole is a traditional Mexican sauce which its base is dried chili peppers and spices. There are all kinds of moles, some are sweeter (includes chocolate, cinnamon) while other are tangier or with a nutty flavour (includes almonds, pecans, etc).
Mole can be found as a paste or in powder and is combined with chicken broth to turn it into a sauce. You can add more chocolate if you find it too hot.
For Mexicans living abroad tradition comes in a bottle (actually a glass that can be reused to hold a candle, a flower or simply drink water). Mole Doña Maria is a renown brand of top quality that has been in market for more than 70 plus years. It can be found in the Latin aisle of your favourite supermarket.
Mole Doña María pairs well with chocolate Abuelita or Ibarra brands.
- 1 glass of Doña María bottle
- 1 bar of Abuelita chocolate
- Chicken or vegetable stock
- Corn tortillas
- Shredded rotisserie chicken (1 chicken breast, 1 small onion, finely chopped), or
- Fried potatoes and carrots (1 large size baking potatoes, 2 medium size carrots, 1 small onion, finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pickled onions (chop 1 small onion, add the juice of 1 lime and salt)
- Feta, cotiija cheese or queso fresco, crumbled
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Sour cream
Add the mole paste and bar of chocolate into a sauce pan, follow the instructions to cook that come in the glass of mole (3 and a half cups of stock), cook at medium temperature until all ingredients disolve.
Warm tortillas in a comal, cover them with mole inside and outside. Add your preferred filling and toppings.
Shredded rotisserie chicken: In a large pan caramelize onion with 2 tbsp. of olive oil. Once ready add the chicken and fry for 5 more minutes, salt and pepper to your taste.
Vegetables: In a large sauce pan add 2 potatoes and 2 carrots cut in cubes, cover with water and boil until vegetables are tender. Reserve. In a large pan at medium heat caramelize onion with 2 tbsps of olive oil, when the onion changes colour add the vegetables and fry for another 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to your taste.